The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/increase-international-allocation-in-ira-21856277.aspx

Subject:  Increase international allocation in IRA? Date:  1/4/2005  5:59 PM
Author:  JayinSF1 Number:  43874 of 75340

Hi, I have an IRA that I know I have allocated over too many funds, but I've been leaving it alone for a couple of years and it's been doing pretty well. I'm ready to do some house cleaning, though, and thought I'd run my ideas by the board and see what people think.

I am 46, and this IRA account is currently valued at about $28,000. Currently my allocations are:

Artisan International Fund (ARTIX) 4.6 %
Harbor Capital Appreciation (HACAX) 6.8%
Managers Funds Special Equity Fund (MGSEX) 5.3 %
RS Investment Emerging Growth Fund (RSEGX) 4.8 %
Vanguard Total Stock Market (VTSMX) 24.4 %
Vanguard S&P 500 Index (VFINX) 36.5 %
VAnguard Windsor II (VWNFX) 16.3 %

I am ready to ditch the RS Emerging Growth (hasn't done well and is too similar to Managers Funds, which has done pretty consistently well) and the Harbor Capital Appreciation, which also has been lackluster.

I am thinking about closing those two out and shifting all of those assets into the international fund, which would bring my international allocation to about 15 % (I think?). I'm thinking that I would particularly like to be invested in international stocks right now because I am concerned about the long term effects of U.S. monetary policies -- trade and budget deficits, declining dollar, immigration policies, etc., while at the same time it seems like other countries may be poised for strong growth.

What do you think? I guess 15 percent is not a huge exposure, but I'm interested to hear what others think about all this. Thanks!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us