The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-a-couple-other-people-have-commented-your-goals-21861508.aspx

Subject:  Re: TSP Retirement Investment Date:  1/5/2005  3:01 PM
Author:  yakers Number:  43882 of 76395

As a couple other people have commented your goals and risk level have a good bit to say about what funds to choose. I am 54 and my choices are: C=40%, S=20&%, I=20% and G=20%. I assume, like you?, that F is to be avoided currently. I expect to retire in the next two or three years. As you are younger you might want more of I and S and less of G. G is very safe and if you really expect the overall market to implode then G is the place to be. But that is too conservative to me. And as you get some inflation adjusted pension (FERS and not CSRS?) you have essentially decent bond coverage and a basis to take more risk.

If the market tanks you will like your G fund. One fellow at work has 100% G and laughed all the way through the 2000-2003 market downturn, but that seems like too little risk for me. If the US market tanks and not the world market then the I fund will look very good. I also have some other investments in RothIRAs, other IRAs and some DRIP funds.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us