The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-stated-out-with-45-in-g-fund-40-in-c-21861880.aspx

Subject:  Re: TSP Retirement Investment Date:  1/5/2005  3:53 PM
Author:  2old4bs Number:  43885 of 76080

I have stated out with 45% in G Fund; 40% in C Fund; 10% in S Fund and 10% in I Fund. Is my contribution allocation a sound one? Comments please.

I'm afraid I have to repeat the basics of my last post--you did not mention if this is your only investment/retirement account, or if you have other accounts, and what your allocation is in all other accounts. I never look at my investment allocations on a "per account" basis, but on a total portfolio basis. I maintain an Excel spreadsheet that combines the holdings in all my accounts into one portfolio.

On a total portfolio basis (if this is your only account), 45% in G Fund sounds very high for someone your age, while 10% in both the S Fund and I Fund sounds too low. This is only my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it ;-)

You might want to consider reading William Bernstein's "The Four Pillars of Investing" for explanations and suggestions of different portfolio allocations.

2old

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us