The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/generally-good-advise-has-been-given-here-already-21894950.aspx

Subject:  Re: Any Advice? Date:  1/11/2005  10:23 PM
Author:  preben Number:  43984 of 75381

Generally good advise has been given here already. I do think that nobody have touched on the feel-good factor of paying of debt rather than investing as a first step - maybe with the exception of the mortgage. This is just a rule of thumb of course.

So for a radical method I personally might chose in your situation: pay of the car + pay of as much of the house as possible without digging into the non taxed retirement account or a minor emergency fund of course.

With a 6% mortgage and a 2% car loan the average saved interest rate would be around 4% with the amounts we are talking(leaving taxes out of the equation). To get 4% you would have to take at least some risk while investing or lock up the money - but here you get it guarenteed and should you need the money (besides emergency fund) they are still available in your house (loan/small 2nd mortgage in worst case scenario).

Note that I hate debt and seeing interest going to others! ; )
Cheers, Ben
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us