The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-for-your-reply-my-limited-understanding-of-21899602.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rollover 401(k) to Roth IRA? Date:  1/12/2005  5:09 PM
Author:  pgray007 Number:  44004 of 78165

Thanks for your reply. My limited understanding of retirement accounts, and the marketing-oriented approach I had seen in the T. Rowe literature had me assuming you could get the best of both worlds by rolling over a 401(k) to a Roth IRA (tax free on the front end and back end). It was silly of me to think the IRS man would miss something like that!

I'm not sure I completely understand your comment. I'm with you up to the part in bold:

Your income appears too high, as a single, to contribute to a Roth for 2004. Your joint income will be borderline (bit probably just under the cutoff for a Roth for MFJ status). I do not mean to be a pessimist or a jinx, but sht happens, so I would not open the 2004 Roth for you that presumes you will be married on 12/31/05 (i.e., do not count your chickens before they hatch). Your fiance probably should do a Roth IRA instead of a regular if she can afford the current taxes.

I think my income will just eek under the limit for 2004 (first time I've been hoping for lowered income!), and my fi