The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Rollover 401(k) to Roth IRA? Date:  1/12/2005  11:35 PM
Author:  Mark0Young Number:  44011 of 78168

... so I would not open the 2004 Roth for you that presumes you will be married on 12/31/05

I don't understand this comment. The 2004 Roth IRA has to qualify based on calendar year 2004, which means if one wants to qualify based on AGI and tax filing status, the AGI and tax filing status is for 2004 (Year 2004 income, marital status as of December 31, 2004), no matter when one contributes. You cannot use qu