The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/007-sure-i-was-a-little-less-stylish-in-the-1991-21902297.aspx

Subject:  Re: Newbie IRA question Date:  1/13/2005  9:37 AM
Author:  Smurfette823 Number:  44015 of 75340

Sure I was a little less stylish in the 1991 max, but my friends and family loved me all the same! Try checking with some family members and friends and see if any of them are willing to "donate" an older car to you, and do the math and you'll likely come out ahead, upside down or not. Our max is still going strong at 200K miles, and works great as a train car for my fiancee.

My car is not in sellable condition right now. I'm going to get it fixed up to spit & shiny new condition in the next 3 months and then make a call on whether to keep or sell. Since I'm sinking a bunch of cash into to get it fixed, and my annual milage is really low, I suspect I will simply decide to keep it for as long as humanly possible.... and meantime, save up a tidy sum to pay for my next car in cash! (thanks to lots of Foolish encouragement)

The key with all this stuff is to take emotion out of it. If you dedicate some time each week, and look at your finances with an impasioned eye, you're less likely to feel guilty and dread looking at all those bills every month.

It's a very good point. I spend every waking moment thinking about my money right now so the awareness is definitely there. I also spend several evenings a week plus Saturday playing with my budget, which is a work in progress. I am not, however, very good about being objective. I get stuck between what I feel I want to live with, as opposed to what's reasonable and prudent to paying down my debt. I don't have any plans for Saturday, so I will make an effort to be more objective when looking at my budget.

Thanks for your support.
Smurfette

PS - Cross post is simply posting the same message on more than one board. Your post was really helpful and relevant to the other board, so I posted a link to it. :)

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us