The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Retroactive 401(k) Contributions? Date:  1/14/2005  12:31 PM
Author:  licensetokill007 Number:  44032 of 88520

I switched jobs last year before being able to max out my 401(k). Due to my income bracket, traditional IRAs and possibly Roth as well (need to get down and dirty in my AGI calculation) are not available to me.

I'm wondering if it is possible to:

a) Contribute to a employer-sponsored 401(k) after you have left said employer (my account is still active, they didn't "kick me out")

b) Contribute "retroactively" like an IRA. For instance, can I contribute $5K on 1/15/05 and have it count for the 2004 tax year?

Thanks for any comments. I'm learning tons from you guys in the short time I've been here!
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us