The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-i-stand-corrected-at-least-in-part-ive-21918941.aspx

Subject:  Re: Dupree Mutual Funds Date:  1/16/2005  5:22 PM
Author:  brucedoe Number:  11613 of 36405

Well, I stand corrected, at least in part. I've been investing for over 50 years now so it could be that I am out of date, but I do note that my statement held for more than 20 years. I might say that the 1970s were a difficult decade to make money and the thought that buying the best gainers meant something (Though I didn't follow it.), but it could be that my memory harks back to that time.

I might say that in 1960 I bought the best gainer among mutual funds of the 1950s called Keystone S-4 which invested mainly in small company growth stocks (Yes, this is not a new concept). I had it for 15 years before I got discouraged and sold. I didn't actually lose money but probably could have done better by investing in California bank CDs which were yielding 4% interest at the time. So, yes, past performance is no guarantee of future success, as they say.

brucedoe
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us