The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotthe-tips-could-be-general-advice-a-21924244.aspx

Subject:  Re: seeking secrets of a happy retirement Date:  1/17/2005  10:52 PM
Author:  Matt1344 Number:  44093 of 76237

"The tips could be general advice, a specific strategy, the benefit of your experience, or simply some encouraging words.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Hi Selena,

Since there is no right or wrong answer here I guess I'll put in a few thoughts..

Savings, investing tips etc have been covered and will be by brighter minds than me so like The Badger I'll look at other areas... I am not fully retired so I'm only half qualified to comment.

Some years ago at age 55, when I had decided to quit working, thoughts would run through my head... One line of thought was to recognize that a job was something I had, something I did, it was not who I was. For many folks a large part of their identity is their job. What's the first question most people ask you? What kind of work do you do?

So I started thinking about the coming "loss" of my job, hmmm "I'm a dancer (because I love to dance), I'm a woodworker (ah the beauty hidden in wood and it offers me a chance to use the engineer part of me sometimes), I'm a motorcycle rider (Badger can relate), I'm a poet (It's something I have to do from time to time), I'm a hiker and a walker... Anyway I hope I'm getting across what I know inside... I'm letting go of one aspect of my life but making room for lots of other areas to expand and grow. Thanks to the Motley Fool community I may one day be a "real" investor... well, maybe not... but I'm sure glad that this group of folks are here because it is adding richness to my life.

One of the things I think people don't realize is the impact that losing the daily connection with co-worker can have. Maybe not for all, but for some of us, because we live alone it may mean more. I have worked with some of these folks for close to 20 years.. Even if they were "only" work friends, I miss them.

As it turned out I ended up working for a temp agency and have worked on average 5-6 hours a week supporting legacy products and software I had designed and written. So I have had an 8 year winding down period as I now head into full time retirement. I think a lot of folks would find this a nice approach, kind of a weaning process ;-)

Also I think we should learn to live in the present, enjoy the sunrises and sunsets we have each day for no one knows the day or the hour... learn to know the difference between wants and needs. To live simply with a bit of grace. Hopefully you will have discovered that toys and other such things may bring temporary pleasure but not lasting happiness. Stssgabs100 expressed it in living near your grandchildren, it speaks to the importance of being with those we love. Our relationships with other people.

I once thought about what would I do if I knew I only had 6 weeks to live... it may sound trite to some but the most important thing to me would be to pay a final visit with everyone I loved, to tell them that I loved them, face to face. All the rest is unimportant except for looking forward to meeting my Lord face to face and hoping He can forgive my failings being the sinner that I am.

May God bless all of you on your journey towards retirement and beyond,

Regards, Ken ....The Apostle Paul wrote in I Corinthians Ch 13:4-13 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love. (NASB translation)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us