The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/being-31-and-just-starting-a-family-i-certainly-21925441.aspx

Subject:  Re: seeking secrets of a happy retirement Date:  1/18/2005  10:27 AM
Author:  NHDad920 Number:  44098 of 75539

Being 31 and just starting a family I certainly can't say yet what my key to retirement happiness is. But the one key thing we're doing now that goes right in line with TheBadger's comments is we're thinking ahead 30 years to what we want to do with our retirement time.

Many general retirement publications say you should plan on retirement expenses roughly 75-80% of pre-retirement. The problem with that logic is that everyone's goals are different and everyone needs to plan their retirement based on their goals.

Some people may want to live in a small home, garden and spend time with nearby grandchildren - sounds like a very enjoyable and relatively inexpensive retirement. My wife and I, on the other hand, want to spend summers in Italy and the rest of the year in a cute little home near the mountains of NH or VT; winters filled with skiing. We realize we need to save a lot and invest wisely in the next 30 years to make that dream a reality.

Bottom line is we thuroughly enjoy our lives now and don't want to have to give up the things that make us happy because we won't be able to afford them in retirement. We have goals and are planning our retirement keeping those goals constantly in mind.

Here's to making dreams come true...

Jason

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us