The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gtgt-my-wife-and-i-are-both-64-and-retired-21941163.aspx

Subject:  Re: need help with asset allocation Date:  1/20/2005  8:45 PM
Author:  ziggy29 Number:  44127 of 74759

>> My wife and I are both 64 and retired.
Income is $80,000 from pension, scoial security, and wife's part time job.
<<

How does that $80K suit your lifestyle? Is it easily enough? Just enough but worry it won't be in the future? Or would you like a more actiuve lifestyle, perhaps with more activity and travel?

I think that might influence how you should invest the $600K.

If the $80,000 income easily meets your needs and desires, I see no need to take much risk. Perhaps something like 1/4 in a growth and income fund, 1/2 in short term bonds or TIPS and 1/4 in money market funds might be about as aggressive as I'd go. At 64, assuming decent health, you can expect at least one of you to live for another 20-25 years, so keep that in mind when assessing your future needs.

If you feel like you need to be more aggressive based on your expectations and desires in the years ahead, I might go a bit more aggressive -- but probably no more than 40-50% in stocks. The balance I'd split between bonds and money market funds.

#29 (sometimes regretting he left a job with an honest-to-goodness pension plan in 1999)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us