The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-apologize-instead-of-working-for-the-government-21963908.aspx

Subject:  Re: seeking secrets of a happy retirement Date:  1/25/2005  4:47 PM
Author:  bogwan Number:  44177 of 75797

I apologize. Instead of working for the government I suggest that you work in the private sector until you are 65, retire until your company's pension plan caves in and then start over as a greeter at Wal*Mart.

My remark was simply to point out that retirement planing for non government employees is currently difficult or impossible due to loss / cancelation of pension benefits beyond the 24k/yr the US government guarantees. And the fact that Health care seems to be easily cut too. I did not mean to suggest that people did not deserve their benefits.

As to the article it points out, in an insensitive way, a very important problem. Orange County Ca may have promised more benefits than it can deliver. In the past such situations have not ended in a way that made retirees happier. Sadly the only source for a discussion of this problem is places like LRC, the OCregister, and Mr Moorlock.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us