The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-keep-in-mind-that-that-quotlarger-21976469.aspx

Subject:  Re: Do you have a rational home equity policy? Date:  1/27/2005  4:24 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  44231 of 75878

But, keep in mind that that "larger pile" you are talking about can allow you to provide for your grandkids' education.

Except that's not my intention. In fact, I will most likely not leave much, if anything, to my children and they know it. I will provide them with an education which is something that will always be theirs and cannot be taken away. But I do not intend to leave them with much other than that. My preference, and they know it, is to leave whatever is left to establish some sort of scholarship for learning disabled children so that they can go to college, similar to the opportunity that I am giving to my children, one of whom does have a signficant learning disability. And even with that, my intent is not to be able to have enough money to support him and/or his children for the rest of his life. At some point, he's got to be able to stand on his own two feet, and I intend to provide him with the best tools for that.

So even though you can think of things that you may want to do with that larger pile, once again, we simply have different goals, because if I have a larger pile, I would either prefer to spend it on me or to leave it for a scholarship.

As I have always believed and told my children, an inheritance is not a right, and I do not want them to live their lives thinking that it is, and wasting any opportunities that come their way to live full and happy lives. I've seen too many families broken apart by money and inheritances, and I would prefer not to do that to my own family.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us