The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/time-for-my-annual-rant-i-guess-whether-you-do-22040664.aspx

Subject:  Re: Just curious Date:  2/9/2005  11:11 AM
Author:  Wradical Number:  76487 of 121061

Time for my annual rant, I guess.

Whether you do you own taxes, or pay a preparer, is sort of like whether you fix your own car or not.

Some people work on their own cars to save money. Others actually enjoy it. Some like seeing how things work on the inside.

Now, I happen to think I'm at least as smart as the average mechanic at my local car dealer. But any of them can do in an hour or less what it would take me all day to do, and I still wouldn't have it done right.
Why? Because they have the tools, the manuals, and they've seen the problems before, and know what to do.

Working on taxes is like working on cars. It's become more complicated over the years, and some aspects of the job simply require a computer.
Of course, tax software is easier and cheaper to get than the engine diagnostic software.

So if you think you can do it yourself, give it a shot. Nothing personal, I assure you. We have clients, including several physicians, who are smarter than me, I suppose. They still pay to get their taxes done. They probably don't fix their own cars, either.

Bill

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us