The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-seems-that-back-in-the-days-bc-before-22041296.aspx

Subject:  Re: Ravings of a tax slave, vol. 1 Date:  2/9/2005  12:43 PM
Author:  Tiddman Number:  76493 of 121252

It seems that back in the days BC (before children, which for him is about 15 years), his wife worked for MCI. And they had a stock purchase plan. And she bought. And bought. And bought. He's not sure how much stock they have. He's going to check the safe deposit box and see what the certificates add up to. [BTW - anyone know if WCOM is worthless this year or are they still trading?] So much for a quick and simple return. At least the surprise will reduce his taxes

Someone I know had this problem with PSINet stock (used to trade on the symbol PSIX). Not 15 years ago, but he bought regularly through an ESPP and did not keep good track of the stock, nor his basis, nor when it went to zero.

This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone know the day or year that PSIX or its successors became worthless? The company declared bankruptcy in mid-2001 and I believe their assets were purchased by another company in 2002, but I don't know when the stock "ceased to exist".

Randy

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us