The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/youre-right-im-not-any-kind-of-lawyer-so-22114916.aspx

Subject:  Re: Collection Agency Settlement Letter Date:  2/23/2005  11:56 PM
Author:  xtn Number:  198121 of 308462

You're right, I'm not any kind of lawyer, so everything I say is only an opinion. Here are some more of my opinions:

1. The more educated you get about this stuff the more confident you will be when dealing with it. Search the internet and read up on such topics as:

cease com letter

debt verification or validation

FDCPA (that's the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, suggest you literally read that whole thing word for word like a book)

FCRA (the Fair Credit Reporting Act)

2. Open all your mail and learn to keep files. When you get a collection letter stick it in your file. If you respond to it, stick a copy of your response in the file. Etc....

3. Again I'm no lawyer, but common sense tells me that there must be some way to get a judgement against an absentee defendant. I guess they probably have to show they made a reasonable search effort for you, and once the judge accepts the fact that you probably skipped the country, he/she will probably go ahead and allow the judgement. Just my guess, but it makes sense.

4. Once you educate yourself and become confidently proactive in putting a stop to these types of issues, you will be much better off. No more fear of the big bad collector man knocking down your door. A sense of pride that you took care of your business instead of letting some bully business push you around. Just hiding from the issues won't make them go away.

xtn
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us