The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Crafty Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/also-a-store-owner-in-a-niche-market-should-22129210.aspx

Subject:  Re: Not Impressed Date:  2/27/2005  10:49 AM
Author:  polarg Number:  4305 of 7313

Also, a store owner in a niche market should realize that people in his niche talk to one another. They belong to clubs. They meet together. They talk on the Internet. Recommendations for or against such establishments bear enormous weight among close-knit (pardon the pun) groups such as crafters.

I'm a small business owner, too, though I sell services rather than products. I've worked in various aspects of the retail and service industries for the better part of ten years. There is not a single company that would have allowed me to do what they have done. Additionally, the store is in a very high income area...the town of Brookline (and Brookline Village in particular) are very affluent...as in, the houses haven't drpped below $500k in over 15 years and these days are generally in the area of $1 mil. It's also a high-foot-traffic area (great for a yarn or craft store) near public transportation, an Orthodox Jewish temple, and two public schools (all very good potential markets).

An imperfect product, just like any broken object, can be written off as a business loss.

Well....see...here's the thing: I had a friend that owned a yarn store (incidently in the same neighborhood as this one) years ago. She closed it because of child care issues and a concern for the quality of the life of her children, but as I recall, she routinely sent damaged product back to the manufacturer. In fact, she told me it was the only time that manufacturers would take yarn back. Otherwise, it's all final sale. And in the case of damaged product, the manufacturer replaces it. So in addition to the manager trying to make the store's cost of doing business my cost for them doing business, he also (possibly) lied to me.

The thing that I really don't get is why they wouldn't be concerned that it was on more than 1 skein. It waas on the two that inspected out of the 4 that I purchased. That would indicate that the shipment was likely damaged, not the particular skein. Additionally, when dealing with wool, when things start to fray and fall apart like that, it's not such a bad idea to look around for a pest problem. I had improperly stored a project last year and lost four afgan quares to mice. (Yuck!)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us