The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/wow-this-is-an-eye-opener-because-i-too-expect-22167163.aspx

Subject:  Re: Consumer Reports - ESPlanner Date:  3/7/2005  6:48 AM
Author:  tlswms Number:  223487 of 756378

Wow - this is an eye-opener. Because I too expect taxes to be higher later than now I converted all of my traditional IRAs to Roths. But I never considered that I'd want to start contributing less to my 401k and put the money in taxable accounts. Figuring that the money growing tax free had to be a better deal than paying taxes on the gains now was just a given in my mind...but if I converted because I believed taxes would be higher later...why not use the same logic...

This discussion also makes me stop to consider the wisdom of funding my health savings account beyond what I anticipate I'll need year to year...

As a fed my 401k is the TSP with an unbeatable expense ratio...so my instinct is that I should still be maxing out my contributions..but I'll need to think this all through some more in light of the eye-opening comments you all have provided - thanks!

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us