The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/take-your-vacation-at-home-22234309.aspx

Subject:  Take your vacation at home Date:  3/20/2005  11:29 AM
Author:  foolkath Number:  830 of 1498

I know, being retired is a full time vacation. But I found that even in retirement I can get into doing the same things all the time. I have developed routines even in retirement.

So this year I decided to take a vacation from retirement. But instead of going "away" I decided to take that budgeted money and see the things in my own area that I never experienced.

Of course, many of these activities were the expensive ones that I avoided while living frugally.

So, instead of going somewhere different. I decided to spend the money on my own area. I went to the chamber of commerce and picked up the booklet"101 things to do in this area". I cannot believe the places I did not know even existed.

I can now experience some of the more expensive places in my area. I am saving the cost of airfare, car rental and hotel. I am adding to my local economy. And I am enjoying learning more about the place I live in.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us