The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/some-interesting-responses-my-husband-and-i-22242047.aspx

Subject:  Re: One spouse files bankruptcy Date:  3/21/2005  10:37 PM
Author:  nolagirl Number:  200553 of 308858

Some interesting responses!

My husband and I married in our late 30's so we already had established separate finances. We both made enough money to handle our individual expenses with each of us making contributions to the household expenses. It may not work for some folks but it did for us.

My husband's experience is in technology but has had a hard time getting full time employment since the bust in 2001. I think he is also experiencing some depression and burnout. This is impacting his job hunting abilities and his interview presence, in my opinion. I have tried discussing this with him but he doesn't see it. So to be honest I do have some frustration and latent anger.

I have given him $3,000 from my savings but honestly do not want to see my savings depleted because he isn't willing to do what it takes to get income.

I bring home about $4,000 a much.. I contribute $1500 a month towards household (rent is $1000); I have $375 car payment (almost paid off); $385 LOC payment; $350 credit card payment; $300 personal trainer; $100 parking; $90 gas card; $60 cell phone; $200 in automatic transfer to savings; $175 lunches; $60 personal care; $25 prescriptions. I also usually end up paying $350 or so for groceries.

I think I'm doing enough. He keeps mentioning bankruptcy when I really think he needs to think of a way to pay his bills -- he needs about $1200 a month to cover his obligations -- so he can't work McDonalds.

I just wanted to know my options.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us