The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-posted-in-another-thread-this-was-a-legit-22242080.aspx

Subject:  Re: Capital One Platnium 0% Offer By E-Mail Date:  3/21/2005  10:48 PM
Author:  Milligram46 Number:  200556 of 311980

I've posted in another thread - this was a legit offer. I called Capital One twice and spoke with three people and never got a really good answer.

Here is how I figured out it was legit on my own.

I was told I could go online where you fill out an application and there is a box to fill in the offer number. Put the offer number there and if it's legit, it will take you to the page.

Nope - didn't work out that way.

So then I went back to the e-mail and clicked on the link - the HTML in the e-mail indiciated it would go to Capital One.

Sure enough - it did...and here was the rub. I got an error message on the Capital One site saying that I couldn't go back to the application page.

Whoa! Pay dirt. When I went to the page to put in the offer code it must have put a cookie on my machine - when I clicked on the link it saw that cookie and thought I had already filled out the application. The only way, technically speaking that could happen is if the offer was legit and the cookies matched up.

It was a bit of a chance - but it paid off. I was told on the phone that Capital One is experimenting with e-mail based promotions. Which, I think is pretty darn stupid IMHO with this age of phishing scams.

By the way boys and girls, I've been in high tech since 1993 and was in e-commerce from 1998 to 2003 - I wouldn't have suggested to the untrained eye to take some of the risks I took.

But it was legit, and I posted in another thread the outcome of my application - I'm smiling!
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us