The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Foolish Collective

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-most-unbelievabe-day-22300223.aspx

Subject:  the most unbelievabe day! Date:  4/2/2005  9:03 AM
Author:  emiller8988 Number:  37699 of 46821

hello from New York!!

I'm truely astounded at the "award" I've been given, really honored... esp when I see the contributions made by some of the other nominees. Every post I've made has been completely selfish. Items like the cholesterol posts were nothing more than my putting the pieces of my own thoughts together... for me. Honestly, I was really flattered at Cameron's nomination and had hoped I wouldn't get the nod. The selection entails some vague sense of responsibility to say useful things. I think about Philip. What a wonderful thing, to have turned your avocation into your occupation. To have done so via kindness, a helpful attitude, and never every anything but kind words for all comers... really a fine gentleman.

Well, I'm reminded of the Wizard of Oz... the wizard couldn't give the straw man a brain... but, he could do this... he said Why, anybody can have a brain. That's a very mediocre commodity. Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas has a brain. Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing you haven't got: a diploma.

well, I guess I can't be made into a great investor... by, by damn, I've got as plaque!!! an award... a diploma of a sort

I can't get over the lack of anonymity at this point. So many of the stories could be taken as a form of self-promotion... but when given by the anonymous hand, they're nothing but stories. They were learning times for me, many were turning points in my life. In that light I'll tell why I'm in New York as apparently I'll be a very UN-anonymous person shortly. I was invited to New York by Mr Whitney Tilson. For the last several weeks, we've had an e-mail correspondence. I'm extremely flattered to report that some of my posts caught his eye. Yesterday morning I got up to see my name "up in lights" at the Motley Fool but did not have time to respond as I was on my way to a meeting with Mr Tilson and Mr Geoff Colvin who is an editorial director for Fortune magazine and anchor of the PBS show... Wall Street Week

We meet for three hours. The meeting began with an offer from Mr Tilson to pen a column in his monthy value newletter explaining concepts of value investing to "the average investor". To my utter astonishment, by the end of the meeting I'd been offered the chance to do a 5-8 minute commentary at the end of each Wall Street Week show ... a la a sort of investor's "Andy Rooney".

This has been a stunning and life changing day for me. First and best! Te Feste Award... but now I've been offered a life changing new path. The money being offered is more than enough to help me achieve my childhood dreams. Even more than medicine, there's somethng I've always aspired to and now I am financially able to achieve it. I have purchased and will start running my very own adult book and video store in Tmie Square, NY NY. WOW!! dream come true!!!

did I remember to say.... Happy April Fool's Day :)

ed

ps... we are in New York. We'll confine ourselves to resturants, deli's, the wonderful Asian exibits, and plays. I think I'll just keep the old day job and continue posting to "The Fool". It's been a rewarding experience.

all my best...

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us