The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltbut-now-i-see-what-my-frieds-spend-on-22303699.aspx

Subject:  Re: FI might not mean wealthy Date:  4/3/2005  12:52 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  3161 of 5082

<<But now I see what my frieds spend on clothing. Now I see how they are always buying "better" for their houses. And their cars: My one friend leases 2 hondas 2004's. My other has a new lexes. My other friend has a Bmw convertable. Their refrigerators have those fancy icemakers on the outside. What beautiful rugs they have. I must admit. Sometimes I wonder if they thing I am living in poverty. Before I observed them, I felt rich. I have two cars: One is a 1995 with 155,000 miles, another is a 1996 with 170,000 miles. But my savings is allowing me to buy a car every 10 yrs without taking a car loan.

I guess if I wanted all those other things I would not be financially independant. Actually, for my friends, my net worth would not mean FI for them.
>>

Very good observations.

For me, financial independence meant that I had the leisure time to teach two 11 year old boys how to bake pizza in a Dutch Oven using charcoal for dinner on a camping trip. They made three small pizzas and then one 14" pizza, all very good. I left them enough additional bread dough for two more 14" pizzas.

They should be able to provide a rather tasty meal for the boys in their Scout Patrol April 16th.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us