The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/am-i-correct-in-assuming-the-general-partner-of-22312301.aspx

Subject:  Re: K1 Reporting Date:  4/5/2005  11:24 AM
Author:  ptheland Number:  78312 of 121572

Am I correct in assuming the General Partner of the LP should furnish the information for to arrive at the cost basis (income/expense items & cash contributions)?

Yes. But probably not the way you are thinking. It was provided each year you owned the LP interest, on your K-1. Most items reported on the K-1 affect your cost basis.

I certainly do not have this information.

Yes, you do. In fact, you are the only one who does.

The safest route if the LP does not provide this information would then be to use the original cost of the LP units correct?

No. That is one number that I can guarantee you is NOT your cost basis. It is just the starting point for your cost basis.

To recap, start with your initial purchase price. Add in all the income items shown on your K-1 each year. Subtract off any expense items that were passed through to you separately on your K-1s. Also subtract off all of the distributions you received over the years. Those should also be shown on your K-1. There are a couple of other potential adjustements you'd need to make (perhaps sec 754 depreciation adjustements if you bought the interest after the initial partnership formation). THAT is your cost basis.

If it happens to equal your original purchase, it would be nothing more than a rather unlikely coincidence.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us