The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Moving states--planning Q Date:  4/5/2005  11:39 PM
Author:  Wheee Number:  78325 of 127642

I am moving states from WA to CO. CO has a state income tax, WA does not.

I'm trying to figure out at what point I become a CO resident and therefore liable for state income tax. I am staying with the same employer.
My WA house sale closes on May 13th. I will be leaving WA on April 15th and driving to CO arriving April 19th. I will be staying in temporary housing starting April 19th
I currently have an office and a phone number BOTH in WA and CO. On April 15th I will only have an office in CO.

When will I be considered a CO resident for tax purposes?

1) When I sell my primary residence in WA, May 13th?
2) When I move into the temporary housing, April 19th?
3) When I leave WA, April 15th?
4) When my company changes my office address to CO?
5) Other?

Another question: I will be receiving a significant amount of income ($50k) on around May 17th. Any legal and ethnical way I can have this as WA source income and therefore not subject to CO state tax? The income is reimbursement for my house selling costs from my employer

Thanks in advance!

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us