The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltliving-in-fi-is-similiar-to-when-you-were-22324897.aspx

Subject:  Re: FI might not mean wealthy Date:  4/7/2005  3:16 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  3191 of 5068

<<Living in FI is similiar to when you were saving to get here. But sometimes, you can afford something you postponed having when you were saving for FI. and believe me, it's worth the wait!

Hi Kath,

That is the rub isn't it?!

Will you still be fit enough later to do the thing you've put off doing till later? Be it dancing or travel or whatever.

Petey

>>

Ideally, you need to carefully consider all the things that are important to you over your entire lifetime, and budget the ones that are important to you so that you can buy them when it's appropriate.

But that assumes that you have the wisdom to fairly balance the desire for travel next month and early retirement twenty years away. Ideally, you should neither neglect current pleasures nor long term needs and pleasures, but balance each in appropriate ways.

That hasn't usually been my strategy, though.

My frugal values lead me to have a bias towards saving and investing. But I listen to the needs and demands of my body and emotions, and aim to satisfy those needs and desires in suitable ways. That usually means deciding when I need to satisfy a need to get out of town or do something different, and then consider how to meet that need for recreation in an economical yet satisfying way.

The past year or so, I've been volunteering as an adult leader for the Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. That leads to quite a bit of opportunity for low cost, fun activities. This Saturday I'll be doing a day hike with the Cub Scouts, and the following week and weekend camping trip with the Boy Scouts. I don't usually have to spend a lot of money for entertainment or recreation, because I think carfeully about how to meet my needs at low cost.

Seattle Pioneer
Who is easily entertained
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us