The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Help: Proof for IRS - to reduce long term gain. Date:  4/7/2005  3:47 PM
Author:  kmote Number:  78382 of 127616

I was informed that it may be advisable to take a long term gain on a
Stock in my portfolio to pay college tuition resulting in (for my tax
bracket 10%)a 50% reduction of tax liability. 5% is a great deal!

I just have to provide proof to IRS that the proceeds were used to pay
tuition. I tried to look around for the requirements, but
can't find anything on the rule.

Scottrade said all they would need from us is a note from me and my
wife authorizing them to issue a check to the college. For proof,
would a copy of the Sale Confirmation and a copy of Scottrade's monthly
statement be sufficent to satisfy IRS?

I have saved cash on the side to pay for my son's tuition. I
don't really want to sell the stock, but if I buy it back with the
ready cash on the side, I would be starting with a new base.
It certainly sounds like a smart idea.

My son will be attending in the fall. I am trying to plan for
this strategy in advance.

Thanks for your help,

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us