The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tmfselena-quotes-oprah-winfrey-surprised-100-22399312.aspx

Subject:  Re: Oprah and tax trouble? Date:  4/24/2005  1:51 PM
Author:  Bob78164 Number:  78930 of 121599

TMFSelena quotes:

OPRAH Winfrey surprised 100 editorial and advertising staffers of O, The Oprah Magazine, by giving them $5,000 bonuses on Sunday night. The talk show queen, celebrating the fifth anniversary of her vanity mag at the Park Avenue penthouse of Hearst Magazines president Cathie Black, told her grateful underlings: "I figured I would give you five things you could really use." Best of all, the bonuses were tax-free. Winfrey was criticized last year when, after she gave away 276 cars to an audience of her show, the winners discovered they had to fork over $7,000 in taxes to keep their $28,500 Pontiac G-Sixes.

I reply:

I would imagine that it depends at least in part on whether she used corporate funds to make the payments (in which case I would expect them to be taxable) or used her personal funds (in which case they are more likely to be gifts). But I'm sure there's more to the analysis than that. --Bob
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us