The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Do I need to file state return? Date:  4/25/2005  7:19 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  78941 of 127616

I lived in Cambodia (Africa) for all of 2004 as a nurse, and kept my residency in North Carolina. I was paid by a US company and received a W-2, but the state box just says "XX" instead of "NC" and there are no state wages or withholdings. I know I need to file a Federal return, but I'm not sure if I need to file for state. Any help would be appreciated.

Generally, the fact that you are absent from the US is not sufficient to cancel residency in the last state you lived in before you left the US. So, the general rule is that you will have to file a NC resident income tax return.

However, some states (I don't know if NC is one of them) will allow you to either end your residency or will exempt you from filing if you spend more than a set period of time outside of the state/US. You will have to check NC's rules for who has to file a return to know for sure.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us