The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Do I need to file state return? Date:  4/25/2005  7:47 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  78943 of 127745

Thanks Ira. Do you know of a good website that I can check on NC's rules? I looked around the Dept of Rev site for awhile, but it wasn't too helpful.

You're right. The instructions for the D-400 return aren't all that helpful. It indicates that it is possible to become a non-resident of NC by establishing legal residence in another state or country<b/> but doesn't explain how to accomplish this to NC DOR's satisfaction.

If your sojourn overseas is not permanent in nature and you intend to return to NC (and still have a home there) then you are probably still considered to be an NC resident and need to file a return.

Your best bet is to contact a tax professional in NC who has expertise in this area and pose the question.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us