The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Birds of a Feather / Investing For Couples

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/shes-always-been-on-shakey-financial-ground-with-22471461.aspx

Subject:  Re: One of us without an IRA Date:  5/11/2005  7:09 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  778 of 785

she's always been on shakey financial ground with CC debt, etc., which I paid off with a HELOC on my co-op after our nuptials.

I'm sure you know this, and it's probably just the way you worded it, but you did not pay off her credit card debt. You simply moved her unsecured debt over to secured debt on your co-op. You still owe the money except to a different place.

We're both self-employed right now, so employer contributions, etc. are not an option for either of us.

As far as the IRA question, being self-employed gives you many more choices and the ability to put away much higher amounts into an IRA. You don't have an outside employer making contributions, but you can make your own matching contributions as the employer. I have my DH in a Keough, and max out his contributions every year, which dwarf what I can put into a 401k at work even though I make several times the salary that he does.

For explaining self-employed IRA options, I have found the Fidelity website to be the best for comparison purposes. You don't have to set up the IRA there, but I think they give the best information for deciding on what to do.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us