The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Capital Gains... Date:  5/11/2005  10:53 PM
Author:  comptche Number:  79259 of 127613


Sell a rental for a rental, then move in to the new rental...

Keep in mind that this intent violates the spirit of section 1031 exchanges. It's not been settled how long one must rent the new property for things to be hunky dory when the owner turns it into a personal residence.

Thanks for the warning... Hopefully, by the time I want to do this, it will all be decided so I won't get into trouble... This question would have been the next one that I asked, so I'll wait and ask you when the time comes...


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us