The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/could-those-retired-fools-give-the-rest-of-us-22485540.aspx

Subject:  Re: 5 best and 5 worst things you did. Date:  5/13/2005  4:25 PM
Author:  wcfenton Number:  9787 of 19257

Could those retired fools give the rest of us "getting close" tells us the 5 smartest and 5 not so smart things they did as preparation for retirement. Looking baack with hindsight, what is the single most important thing to do preparing for retirement?
---------------------------

I think that there are some things that most of us have in common, however, there are several we do not. So, what some of us did to prepare for retirement might not necessarily work for others. I'm probably stating the obvious, but I just wanted to preclude my experiences with that comment.

Smartest things:

1) Joined the service at at early age and followed through for 31+ years. My pension didn't waiver a bit during the first several years of the new millennium. Who woulda thunk it?

2) Sorry...I can only remember doing one thing right!

Not so smart (DUMB) things:

1) Thought I had it made with my pension so, I failed to learn about the benefits of investing until I had reached an "advanced age".

2) Sorry...I can only remember doing one thing wrong! :0)

Regards,
Bill

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us