The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Gardening and Landscaping

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/funny-how-such-a-simple-thing-as-a-little-girl-22558241.aspx

Subject:  Re: Joys of Gardening Date:  5/31/2005  6:07 PM
Author:  millerpim Number:  18023 of 31152

Funny how such a simple thing as a little girl telling me she liked my garden made my day. But it did.

I know just how you feel, Andrea. When we moved into our house almost three years ago, we ended up ripping out most of the flowers and replacing the beds. We now have fuschias blooming, about four-feet tall, under our living room windows. We planted a sago palm and yucca under our closet window. The other beds have a large flowering maple, begonais, impatiens and gerbenia.

Near the sidewalk is a large six-foot square filled with roses and bordered by a bunch of yellow coriopsis. Sometimes I sit on the grass to weed the garden and cut off the deadheads, which can take a while to finish, so I talk with people who walk down the sidewalk with their kids and dogs.

A woman stopped to admire my garden last week. And she said the oddest thing. "I like walking by your house and seeing the drapes open. The Johnsons used to leave the drapes shut all the time, and it made the house look sad." And then she complimented me on our choice of flowers and walked away.

elizabeth
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us