The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-had-an-awakening-about-a-year-of-so-ago-when-i-22559603.aspx

Subject:  Re: If Animals Weren't Meant To Be Eaten... Date:  6/1/2005  7:34 AM
Author:  tlswms Number:  236856 of 748975

I had an awakening about a year of so ago when I learned and forced myself to recognize the despicably inhumane conditions under which most of the meat is 'manufactured'. I applaud all who consume free-range products and believe it's probably the only hope for less cruelty in this industry. As you can't fight the market on these things the only means to change is a growing demand for humanely-developed products in the marketplace.

For anyone who wants to take the time to learn more about the topic in an quasi-entertaining way I highly recommend seeing Peaceable Kingdom - an excellent documentary that's winning awards - see the synopsis below and tribeofheart.com for details.

Anyone who wants a copy of the movie can send their address to me at tlswms@hotmail.com and I will gladly forward it - Tom

Synopsis from website -

At a time when the public is more concerned than ever about the health and environmental problems associated with large-scale factory farming, Peaceable Kingdom explores another angle of this unfolding story: the interconnected life journeys of farm animals, former farmers, and animal rescuers struggling against an out of control Harold Brown, who grew up on a small Michigan beef farm, is haunted by memories of sending animals he raised to slaughter. When a rescued sanctuary cow affectionately bumps him in the chest, the jolt brings with it an emotional breakthrough that will forever change his relationship to animals.

Howard Lyman, a fourth-generation Montana cattleman, turned his family's small organic farm into a massive feedlot operation, and learned too late that his success was destroying everything he loved. A brush with cancer awakens in him a strong desire to make things right, though he knows it will alienate him from his entire Gene and Lorri Bauston, concerned citizens hoping to document and expose factory
farming practices, discovered a sickly sheep discarded on a stockyard's deadpile. They took her home and nursed her back to health in their urban row house.

Fifteen years later, they operate the nation's largest farm animal sanctuary and are at the forefront of exposing cruel agricultural practices that are not only common, but These ordinary people, whose extraordinary life journeys come together in Peaceable Kingdom,
share their personal stories of redemption, commitment, healing and hope. -
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us