The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/one-question-that-i-have-for-you-why-would-22576734.aspx

Subject:  Re: New 401k Plan Date:  6/4/2005  7:21 PM
Author:  cliff666 Number:  46341 of 75786

One question that I have for you, why would large-cap companies be less appropriate for someone my age? Is it because their growth potential is rather limited and I am not taking full advantage of the time duration until retirement?

Exactly. They are already mammoth. Sure, they are well managed and will continue to grow, but a smaller company has more room to grow. As I said, I have zero VFNIX in my own portfolio for that reason.

At the time, I hadn't really considered the American Funds (RWMFX, RERFX, RICFX) because I have never had any exposure to that company of funds and don't know anything about them. But the more I am looking at the fund choices and thinking about my allocation, I am leaning towards adding in the RERFX to pick up the international exposure.

Disclosure: Approximately 60% of my portfolio is with American Funds. I have no Washington Mutual or EuroPacific Growth Fund (I do have Capital World Growth and Income, which is similar). Largest holdings are New Perspective and Income Fund of America. The only ones I have not been satisfied with are SmallCapWorld and New Economy. I liked them better when they were growing at 35% a year. ;o)

The large front-end load is off-putting. The performance seems better than most.

cliff
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us