The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ira-withdrawl-22580703.aspx

Subject:  IRA withdrawl Date:  6/6/2005  7:40 AM
Author:  donnajc Number:  9818 of 19257

My husband was a construction worker. Four years ago he was seriously hurt at work. He could not longer do the heavy labor he did before. He company offered him a job in the lab. He didn't care much for it but it continue to pay into his union retirement. Lab work is not a normal job throught the union. The company had a union dispute in March and let go 5 guy including my husband.

Because of my husbands injuries their is not way that they could send him out. They put him in for disablity retirement which starts on September 1st which is his 60th birthday.

With winter lay off unemployment, 2 weeks pay, and the retirement he will be getting; our income his year will be about 15,000. So our taxes will be low or none so far.

So far we have been living off of our cash reserves. By the time he get his retirement check our reserves will be getting low.

Now my question. Dave has an old IRA with about 10,000 in it. Can we take a cash lumb sum and just close this account? This would be the year to do it. I could put the money into something I could get at.

Thank you,
donna
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us