The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-depends-on-how-out-of-date-sometimes-its-22586970.aspx

Subject:  Re: If Animals Weren't Meant To Be Eaten... Date:  6/7/2005  11:24 AM
Author:  ariechert Number:  238119 of 737485

It depends on how out of date. Sometimes it's only "almost" out of date and hasn't turned brownish yet, and it's still half-price. Those are jackpot days -- though when I find that stuff, I make sure to use it within the next day or two.

I don't really want to approach the stuff that's a couple days past its date and is all brown all over the place. I'm not that LBYM, alas.

There is some aging process for whole beef loins where they hang it for 3 months! I kid you not! I can't remember what the process is called. It actually grows a rind of mold on it, and the meat inside turns almost black. I've never had any, but I've seen slides about it in meats classes. They wrap the whole loins in muslim cloth in a dark cooler either set up on shelves, or hanging by meat hooks, and then let it age for a LONG time. It drips as it sort of dries out, and then a mold grows on the outside. After it's finished aging, they trim the outside with a sharp knife, shaving off the mold, almost down to the muscle tissue.

Then the tenderloin (filet mignon) is deboned off the loin, and the New York Strip is cut using a band saw. I suppose the top sirloin is also either cut on a band saw or deboned and sliced with a knife. I've been told that it's really tender, and delicious. Believe it or not. - Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us