The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/so-if-anyone-has-anything-to-contribute-on-22589574.aspx

Subject:  Re: Where to live? Date:  6/7/2005  5:35 PM
Author:  LurkerMom Number:  9825 of 19219

So, if anyone has anything to contribute on either disability or where to live, I'd really appreciate hearing what you have to say.

Hedge

Hi Hedge,

Sorry to hear about your health problems and coming predicament.

I'll leave it to someone far wiser than me for any financial advice, but perhaps I could offer a suggestion or two in other areas.

I see you live in the LA area. Unless you really need to stay there for Doctors and such perhaps you could relocate to another community. LA is an expensive city to live in. One of my sons' lived in LA for approx. ten years and it was expensive living even though he was out of the high rent area and all.
There are a number of mobile home parks in Ca. which are very nice. I have a friend who lives in Santee, Ca in such a park. There is a club house for social activities, a swimming pool and many other nice amenities.
She scouted around looking at different parks and was able to buy a used mobile home in excellent condition and wonderfully decorated with a screened in porch at a very reasonable price.

Her income is probably around twenty grand a year. She did dip into her 401k to help buy her mobile home.

Anyhow, this is one suggestion you can kick around and I'm sure others will have better suggestions.

Good luck and best wishes.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us