The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/unless-all-the-various-taxes-in-la-happen-to-22591898.aspx

Subject:  Re: Where to live? Date:  6/8/2005  9:53 AM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  9839 of 19483

Unless all the various taxes in LA happen to provide you with subsized house and/or medical care, I think you need to look at the cost of living carefully. Many people say "I won't live ????? because they have an income tax or high property taxes, or whatever tax." What one should really care about in my view are the taxes you will pay in your specific situation, the cost of living in that area and any uncommon benifits. For example some states lower property taxes for people on disability and/or over 65.

This type of data I have found on a comparitive basis amazingly hard to get. One source is a magazine "Where to Retire" -- comes out 6 times a year. They highlight a few cities in each issue. Give cost of a 2 BR house, taxes on that house, etc. If you can find a library that subscribes, spend a day with back issues.

Another thing you should keep an eye on is the Medicade situation. I certainly hope you don't get there, but some states are making major changes - and these are not expanding coverage.

The eastern part of Tennessee, Western NC and the part of WV south of MD are areas that have below average costs. Another place much closer to you is Boulder City, NV -- east of Las Vegas.

Gordon
Atlanta
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us