The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Estimated Tax Payments using EIN Date:  6/12/2005  11:28 PM
Author:  convergenceman Number:  79669 of 127549


I'm a sole proprietor with an EIN for my consulting business. The reason I applied for the EIN was to establish an i401k plan which allows a generous profit sharing contribution (tax sheltered of course).

My question is this - the 1040ES estimated tax payment vouchers appear to require that I list my Social Security number, can or should I put my EIN here instead? If I use my Social, will I have problems with the IRS later with the tax-free money that I'm putting into the i401k?

The estimated tax forms for businesses look like a huge pain so I'm trying to avoid these if possible.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us