The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Estimated Tax Payments using EIN Date:  6/12/2005  11:42 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  79670 of 127549

the 1040ES estimated tax payment vouchers appear to require that I list my Social Security number, can or should I put my EIN here instead?

No. Use your SSN.

The EIN is for your retirement plan, which is a separate entity from yourself. It should be given to the broker(s) and bank(s) and anyone else who holds an account for the plan.

If I use my Social, will I have problems with the IRS later with the tax-free money that I'm putting into the i401k?


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us