The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-think-the-biggest-part-of-reaching-the-million-22636165.aspx

Subject:  Re: Happy Dance Date:  6/17/2005  3:39 PM
Author:  nmckay Number:  3332 of 5084

I think the biggest part of reaching the million dollar threshold is the peace of mind it brings. At this point you could retire. It might not be the best possible retirement, but you could do it. So from this point forward you're working for a better retirement, but you have the basic one covered. That's a great feeling.

qaddy, just keep doing what you are doing. Learn all you can about investing and saving. Here are my basics off the top of my head.

Don't pass up a chance to make a career change if it'll get you more salary. You get the bigger money when you leave. You need to be a mercenary about this, just don't burn any bridges if you can help it.

Don't stay in your present house too long. Look for the next real estate opportunity. Don't be afraid to do a little work to your place. Worst case, you can live in it and hold on for a better market in the future.

If you are under 30, don't be afraid to take some risks. You have plenty of time to recover.

If you are married, don't get divorced. If you aren't married don't do it until you find the perfect one. Divorce is seriously expensive.

If you have kids, teach them to be smart kids. This saves gobs on education costs. Also wouldn't hurt to get them to play a sport of two especially if you have girls. Title 9 is a great way to get young women into college scholarships. It's not near as competitive as they men (unless she wants to play basketball for UConn).

And about a dozen other things I can't think of right now.

Keep plugging away. It doesn't take near as long as it seems.

nmckay
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us