The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/dont-stay-in-your-present-house-too-long-this-22643583.aspx

Subject:  Re: Happy Dance Date:  6/20/2005  8:55 AM
Author:  nmckay Number:  3356 of 5076

Don't stay in your present house too long.

This has been one of my best strategies for building wealth. DW and I have made very calculated purchases over the years and improved the houses we have bought. This is the virtue of applying my craft. The result is that we've doubled the first home price, doubled it again for the second, then the third and now the fourth. We currently have a 5/1 ARM at 4.625 (Obviously non-conforming)on our current home and it is expected to double by the time the term expires. This strategy has allowed us to take $500K and put it to work in the market while having an equal amount of equity in the house. And remember the Fed allows you $500,000 tax free on each sale held at least two years. That's a pretty big givaway. We should all take advantage of it. The end game is to leave New York (and it's crushing taxes) and purchase a home for a fraction of the cost of our current one. The profit simply adds to the retirement account.

This is somewhat risky financing and certainly not for everyone, but if we're going to retire early we have to take some chances. I'm not convinced that one can do normal things and expect extraordinary results. So far the returns on the money outside of the mortgage has completly crushed the 4.625 bogey. If it doesn't at some point, we can always plow it back in. So I'm a big proponent to moving every few years.

nmckay
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us