The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-hedge-in-reply-to-your-earlier-post-re-22643829.aspx

Subject:  Re: Where to live? Date:  6/20/2005  1:28 PM
Author:  zuni7 Number:  9862 of 19378

Hi Hedge. In reply to your earlier post re: "...if anyone has anything to contribute on either disability or where to live, I'd really appreciate hearing what you have to say."

Hedge

I'm not so far away - Scottsdale Arizona. The cost of living here is just great. I'm originally from downtown, lakefront Chicago and my apartment would be about 3x (times) same footage/convenience/economic center as here in Scottsdale.
I'm not familiar with how disabling your health situation is, but after taking early retirement, I decided to cut driving a car to minimum and starting taking the bus and doing lots of walking - just like I did in Chicago.
We have an area of Central/South Scottsdale that includes everything including LIbrary, Museum, City Hall, Fabulous shopping (includes Neimans & Nordstrom & Target - Costco etc.
Art district and restaurants, pubs etc. all within 1/8th to 2 miles from home. This is important to me as I am single and enjoy social interaction.
9 months of the year are Paradise; remaining 3 months I do most chores in AM and use the swimming pool lots. Also sell books on eBay as income (cash flow) and to keep me involved in business. I'm a former stockbroker and floor trader on Chicago Mercantile Exchange. So, I used to high level of mental and physical activity.
Check out Scottsdale as it has excellent healthcare (Mayo Clinic) superb Senior Benefits. Sorry, I don't know about government but might be able to help you refine your Search.
Chris in Arizona.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us