The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gtgt-unless-youre-a-phenomenal-speed-reader-22658097.aspx

Subject:  Re: Happy Dance Date:  6/23/2005  11:15 AM
Author:  ziggy29 Number:  3382 of 5085

>> Unless you're a phenomenal speed-reader, you didn't read the linked thread where the numbers were developed with explicitly laid out assumptions. <<

Didn't need to. Here and at the REHP board, we've gone over this hundreds of times with a fine-toothed comb, looking at all kinds of reasonable assumptions.

Since you're new here, I guess you might not know that.

>> What I presented was the takeaway for somebody far away from retirement. <<

But if we're talking about nominal (i.e. inflation-riddled) dollars, we have no idea what inflation will do for the next 30-40 years. (We don't know about the next 10, either, other than that inflation will change the numbers far less over 10 years than over 40.) So the $2-3 million guess is a pretty wild one. If inflation rages, you may need $5-10. If something happens to halt inflation (doubtful with the oil situation), $3 million is way too high. This long time period is too far to go out with *any* confidence using inflated dollars based on assumptions of inflation.

Again, over the years I've been here, we've talked about this to the nth degree.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us