The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-guys-and-gals-i-guess-its-time-for-an-update-22676334.aspx

Subject:  Re: Where to live? Date:  6/27/2005  8:06 PM
Author:  Quakeboy02 Number:  9864 of 19371

Hi guys and gals,

I guess it's time for an update. I gave some consideration to the Phoenix area, since I have a friend there and she has encouraged me to consider it. She keeps on bragging about the 102+++ summer heat, though, and I just can't come to grips with that. She loves it, though. It must be her in-ground pool! :o)

My in-laws (very nice people) live in the Warsaw IN area, and I looked around there (Fort Wayne) but just couldn't find anything I could afford that would satisfy me. So, back to the hometown of South Bend, IN, and after running a somewhat disbelieving real estate (you're paying cash?) agent ragged over 3 days, I've made an offer on a very nice house just a few feet away from the place I owned 20 years ago. From the best I can tell, the neighborhood is still very nice, clean and safe. It's on the approach path to the airport, but South Bend is NOT Los Angeles International Airport <bfg>. It also helps that I've got siblings and friends still here for a support base.

So, since my offer is very close to the asking price, this should wind up tomorrow, even if they submit a counter. The house is 4 blocks or so from the river and maybe 8 blocks from the lake where I used to do a lot of fishing. There are no CC&Rs, so I will not have any issues pursuing my hobby: ham radio. The place was cleaned, painted, has installed new heater/AC, etc. Nice BIG 2-car garage on a paved alley. It's on the smallish side at just under 1000 sq ft, but feels just right for me.

I'm kinda worn out from all the work of looking at 3-6 houses a day over the past few days. It hasn't helped that I had a bad reaction to a new multi-vitamin that I bought. IBS and Fibromyalgia steal your life from you a little bit at a time. My new GI doc has the feeling that I also have some neuropathies. So, I've decided to pursue that a bit before I file for disability.

I am REALLY looking forward to living in this house!

Hedge
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us