The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Gwen's Pub

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/coyote97-my-sons-were-in-a-boy-scout-troop-along-22736837.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Little Bit on One of My Heros Date:  7/12/2005  2:48 PM
Author:  saraswati1 Number:  48355 of 53860

coyote97,

My sons were in a boy scout troop along with a young man with cerebral palsy who was wheelchair bound. All the boys in the troop earned the Disabilities Awareness merit badge. It was really a necessity as this young man went on all of the campouts and events and required extensive help to enter the pool or get down a muddy path or deal with a broken wheelchair or go to the bathroom in the latrine. This young man taught valuable lessons to all of the boys in the troop, mostly with his eternally cheerful attitude and the development of an awareness and sensitivity towards those who have disabiities. He was totally incorporated into the troop. His parents were supportive with an attitude of 'we'll figure out a way for you to do this.' Someone (boy scout) was always on hand to help assist him in accomplishing his needs and goals. He filled leadership positions and participated in most all activities. My boys are no longer directly involved in BSA as they are college age. However, when they left the troop, this young man had earned 'Life' and by now may well be an Eagle Scout.

Here's to your brother!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us