The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/yes-my-aprs-are-decent-i-have-a-0-and-a-49-22737200.aspx

Subject:  Re: NEW MEMBER CONFESSION Date:  7/12/2005  3:33 PM
Author:  mew5280 Number:  208099 of 308568

Yes, my APRs are decent, I have a 0% and a 4.9% and I am watching as they are for 6 months I think, then I will move them again. I have a few smaller amounts on higher APRs that are being paid off first.

Hmmm, what is the answer to debt problems? Hmmmmm. Boy, if I could answer that one. I guess when I was not working, I spent my savings. Then the next month, took 401K money. Unemployment paid less than half my expenses. I paid COBRA so I would be insured, $325/month I think. The other part was just that I had never had to budget, I have always lived pretty manageably in the past but I think part of it was that I lived a simple life for years as I was building a career, then I started earning more and more and spending more and more. It was an unexpected hit to suddenly not have an income and changing my spending habits was something I had never done. I had worked hard for years to be able to have a little extra money, I was tired of scrimping.

For 15 years I always did well, though I wasn't a big earner, didn't have a lot of savings, but didn't have debt, until 3 years ago. It just hit me.

Not good answers but those are my reasons. Then the depression when you lose a job and the market is so bad you can't find another quickly.

Now I know what to do, tighten up and don't overspend, don't use the credit cards. Don't get depressed when the world is at war, the markets are failing you're getting older - HA. : )
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us